Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Small Treasures




This is nice. A necklace I made last year just won a competition for the creative use of Precious Metal Clay. Jewellers will know that this is a strange alchemical product that is worked like a clay, but hwen it is fired, either in a kiln, or using a torch at the bench, the clay fires out to leave assay quality metal. For a silversmith to create directly in a malleable material is a challenge, we are so used to constructing from sheet and wire. For this piece, I used fairly child like forms but tried to be quite strict about what it was that was making them work. I used 18ct yellow gold and also experimented with enamel through the PMC.


If you are in Scotland, there is a new shop in Brunstfield, Edinburgh selling PMC and a similar product, Art Clay, which I haven't tried, or if they are still there, you can also go to Fenton Barns in East Lothian, who run great introductory courses very cheaply (or at least they used to - I can't find any links online right now). I'll be using up the supply I received from the PMC Guild as a result of my happy win, and developing the work further hopefully through a course next year in Par, Cornwall.


In the meantime, I have taken a two day Picasso inspired ceramics introduction course with the amazing Frances Priest just to get my hands on some clay. Thanks Fran!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home